Also, wait a few seconds at the end of sentences or after the candidate speaks to minimize talking over each other. When you want to evaluate candidates, beyond written assessments, you can use virtual whiteboards that facilitate interaction, such as FreeHand and Zoom Whiteboard. Keep your pipeline moving with Video Interviews, a premium one-way screening tool from Workable. Whether your interview is taking place over Skype, Google Hangouts, Zoom, or another platform, it’s important to make sure you feel comfortable using it.
- Even for people who are familiar with technology, video interviews can be a bit intimidating if they’re used to being in an office setting.
- However, since most hires will be for remote work positions, a further set of ‘remote specific’ questions should be added.
- Alternatively, you can reschedule the remote interview at a time when fewer people are online.
- The goal of this interview is to introduce Dribbble from a People Ops perspective, share more about our team culture, and the remote work process.
- After each interview, use whatever rating system you decided to go with to measure out all of the answers.
- For team leaders, they must address these issues; which should be discussed during the remote interview process.
They should provide a list of what they’ve used in the past to be successful, and how each of them will contribute to remote success. You can see their technical aptitude through their answers, as well as experience with each tool. Whatever answer they provide, they should give a list of tools that they use for communication and how frequently they like to communicate. You’ll want them to focus on effective communication and be provide multiple steps to ensure that nothing gets lost in communication. Below are sample questions for each step to helping assess remote-specific skills and how they best fit into the role and company culture.
Tips to Nail a Virtual Job Interview
Mute calls and text messages and place you phone out of sight, so you don’t unthinkingly reach out for it during your conversation. Make sure you have the candidate’s number and email handy so you can easily connect. The phone won’t be ideal, and you may decide to just call and reschedule the interview for another day. But better to start or postpone the conversation than allow a tech snafu to raise stress and frustration levels.
- You can see their technical aptitude through their answers, as well as experience with each tool.
- This question will provide specific tactics they use to get themselves working.
- If you want to ensure recruitment continuity even when it’s not possible to meet face to face, it’s time to improve your remote interviewing process.
- A great remote worker can get themselves on top of their projects no matter the location.
- Make sure your whole team is involved and kept up to speed with where you’re at throughout the whole process.
- Unfortunately, during a remote interview, many of these non-verbal cues are not easily observable.
It can bring up interests that they have, activities they like to do, and experiences that have made them who they are today. Their answer can be a good point to bond over common interests or experiences, and provide more insight into them as a person. Without team members around you, working when you’re remote can be a challenge. Especially when you work at home, it can be difficult to separate that area from leisure and instead focus on working.
Tell me about a time when you’ve had to respond to a problem from a communication failure.
Now that you have these core tips for conducting a remote interview, see this post for five ways to stand apart from the competition when extending job offers to potential hires. Don’t assume the candidate is familiar with the video platform you’re using, even if it’s a well-known, popular platform like Microsoft remote interview meaning Teams or Zoom. When you send the interview invitation, include instructions on how to call in at the scheduled time and additional steps the candidate might need to take to sign in. This is especially important if you’re using specialized remote interview software, such as VidCruiter or MyInterview.